Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

A Most Agreeable Murder

I had been saving Julia Seales' debut novel A Most Agreeable Murder (#1,261) as a special treat.  Reader, I was most disagreeably disappointed.  It promised a Regency romance style murder mystery with an enticing cover.  The contents, sad to say, did not quite measure up.

I think Ms. Seales tried too hard.  The results came across as "cutsie" rather than tongue in cheek with "fainties" and "squelchies" in a fairytale setting.  A younger sister as an unidentified werewolf?  The only weather in the village was rain and violent hailstorms?  A proper young lady whose sole ambition was to solve murders?  The parents as caricatures of the senior Bennetts?  It was all a bit much for my taste.

It might be perfect for some readers, but I am not one.

No comments:

Post a Comment