Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

News of the World

 I just finished Paulette Jiles' western adventure, News of the World (#952).  It was a fast and enjoyable read.  It concerns an older gentleman who roams throughout northern Texas reading an aggregation of news stories from around the United States and further afield.  His aim is to inform and entertain these isolated folk, and for the most part he is trusted and accepted.  So much so that he is pressed into service to return a white child captured by the Kiowas four years earlier to her relatives not too far from San Antonio.

Captain Kidd is not very happy about being forced to take the girl, Johanna, but if he doesn't, who will?  This odd couple finds a way to communicate and find themselves united against common enemies on their travels through dangerous territory.  When they finally arrive at Johanna's aunt and uncle's home, her reception makes Captain Kidd reluctant to leave his charge there...

I can see why this book was made into a movie, which I have not seen.  I'm sure Tom Hanks has done his usual excellent job, but I have to admit that the actor who sprang into my mind to portray Captain Kidd was Donald Sutherland - older, tall, with shining white hair.  I look forward to seeing what they've done with such exciting material.



No comments:

Post a Comment