Total Pageviews

Friday, May 10, 2013

The Tehran Initiative

If you want to read a glowing review of Joel C. Rosenberg's The Tehran Initiative (#289), I'm sure you can find one posted somewhere amongst the personalities who regularly appear on Fox News.  You won't find one here because I quit reading about a hundred pages in, and I'm sorry I spent that long on it.

I expected a taut, relevant political thriller.  What I got instead was some heavy-handed proselytizing.  When Mr. Rosenberg was writing action scenes, it was pretty compelling reading, even though I felt as though I had walked into a movie theater halfway through a movie where everything hinged on the action in the first five minutes.  I guess you had to have read his previous book The Twelfth Imam in order to make any sense of this one.  I certainly have no desire to go back and read that if it is half as preachy and evangelical as this one turned out to be, with characters drawn starkly in either black or white.  Thanks very much, but I'm perfectly capable of forming my own opinions, and I'm definitely of the opinion that I won't be reading any more of Mr. Rosenberg's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment