Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife

After reading Spook: Science Takes on the Afterlife (#290), I'm now current with every book that science writer Mary Roach has published to date.  Since this book came out after Stiff, which dealt with cadavers, it seems like a logical progression.  (See my posts of 3/21/11, 3/28/11 & 4/25/13.)

Mary Roach makes it clear that she is neutral on the subject of the afterlife.  She neither believes nor disbelieves, but went into the project to see where scientifically conducted experiments on the subject of souls and an afterlife would lead.  Efforts to weigh the soul, mediums and séances, reincarnation, near death experiences - all are examined in Spook.  And what does she conclude?  Her book dedication gives a very good indication: "For my parents, wherever they are or aren't".  Some of it does make pretty dry reading, so Mary's footnotes (always entertaining!) provide some humorous relief.

I think in many respects that Spook is the weakest of Roach's books, but still miles ahead of the competition if you want to read something on any of the above-mentioned subjects to get a more balanced view.  Now, if only I could persuade my husband to perform the curious cow experiment she describes; I'd love to see if it really works...

No comments:

Post a Comment