Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Mrs. Queen Takes the Train

I thoroughly enjoyed William Kuhn's novel Mrs. Queen Takes the Train (#287).  In fact, I gave it five stars on my Goodreads list, which I don't attribute to too many books.

It's a simple enough premise: The Queen has been feeling out of sorts lately.  On a cold, rainy afternoon, she leaves her office in Buckingham Palace to go visit her horses in the Royal Mews, leaving her beloved corgis behind.  When her young equerry comes to see her before he leaves for the day, he cannot find her.  He recruits her senior dresser, her butler and a lady-in-waiting to help him find her before the Press can raise any alarms.  A young groom from the Mews, and a young man on his Gap year working in an exclusive cheese shop prove to be the last ones to have seen Her Majesty, and the hunt is on.

What makes this book so special are the back stories of all these characters.  What binds them to the Palace and keeps them there?  As it turns out, The Queen  is not the only one suffering silently, yet carrying on.  Unlikely alliances are formed as the Members of the Staff (and the young Supplier to the Queen!) join together to spare The Queen any embarrassment in her present state of mind.  All are strengthened by these bonds and given new hope to carry on.  If awards were given to the characters in this cast, it would have to be an ensemble award, as no one character dominates here.

But of course, I have to get in my two cents' worth about the final cover art of Mrs. Queen Takes the Train.  I read a pre-publication copy which I think had much better cover art - a white oval featuring a sleek passenger train with discretely crossed Union Jacks surmounted by a small gold crown set into a subdued paisley print.  It made me want to pick up the book.  I got that Mrs. Queen was going to be THE Queen.  I can't say the same of the published cover.  It has way too much British kitsch.  It's way too cutesy to ever attract me in a bookstore.  And that's a shame, because I would have missed a fabulous read.   So keep in mind that old adage - You can't judge a book by its cover - and know that it holds true in this case!

No comments:

Post a Comment