Total Pageviews

Monday, April 8, 2024

The Underground Library

Jennifer Ryan hooked me with her first WWII novel, The Chilbury Ladies' Choir (See my post of 12/27/2017.) and I've looked forward eagerly to each new stand-alone book.  Her latest is The Underground Library (#1,215).

Here Ms. Ryan interweaves the stories of three young women who find themselves in the London neighborhood of Bethnal Green at the outbreak of WWII.  Katie's family owns a large house on the Park, and her life is seemingly set as she spends the final summer working at the Bethnal Green Library before she heads off to university in the fall.  Juliet arrives to take up her new post as Deputy Director of the Bethnal Green Library, escaping her small country town and her controlling parents.  Sofie is a young German Jewish refugee sent by her abusive employer to the library to find him a book of maps.

Each chapter is told from a different point of view, tracing the impact the Bethnal Green Library has on each of them, even as it is bombed by the Nazis and subsequently moved down into the London Underground for safety, to serve the community which gathers each night to escape the bombs themselves.  It's an engrossing tale.

In the Acknowledgements, Ms. Ryan mentions Simon Parkin's fascinating non-fiction work The Island of Extraordinary Captives.  I came across this book in my own library recently, and both my husband and I read it with a great deal of interest.  I hope Jennifer Ryan's shout out will encourage people to read it who might not otherwise have ever heard of it.  (See my post of 10/31/2023.)

As always, highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment