Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 30, 2023

Unladylike Lessons In Love

Well, the title of this "Regency" novel certainly delivers on its promise: Lila Marleigh's behavior is anything but ladylike in this steamy romance.  Unladylike Lessons In Love (#1,151) by Amita Murray sucked me in with its promise of Regency-era romance and mystery.  Except for the fact that Amita Murray admits to consuming Georgette Heyer (the absolute Queen of Regency romances!) like candy when she was younger, I would have guessed she learned everything she knows about the time period from Bridgerton! (No wonder Julia Quinn's blurb is posted right at the top of the book's cover!).

The premise and the mystery involved were both enough to keep me reading, even though I skipped over the steamy bits (that was a lot of pages!).  But, oh! those bucketful's of anachronisms and twenty-first century slang reminded me firmly that context means nothing to this author.

Apparently this is the first of a series of mysteries featuring the illegitimate daughters of an Englishman stationed in India for many years, but brought up as English young ladies by his abandoned wife.  I won't be torturing myself any further.  If you want to know what the ideal is for this genre, read Georgette Heyer herself - she's never been out of print!


No comments:

Post a Comment