Total Pageviews

Monday, July 10, 2023

Network Effect

Murderbot has to be one of my favorite literary characters.  Funny, because I almost never used to read science fiction, but my husband has persuaded me to dip my toes in those waters.  If all books were as good as Martha Wells Murderbot Series, that's probably all I would read these days.  #5 in that series is Network Effect (#1,147).

Murderbot is trying its best to settle into life with its group of humans in the Preservation after preventing an assassination attempt on its leader, Dr. Mensah.  Although it was kept quiet, Mensah has decided it  would be best for everyone to launch a mapping mission off-world, with her adolescent daughter, Amena, and one of her marital partners on board the vessel.  It's supposed to be a routine research trip, but of course, it doesn't turn out that way.  Their ship is attacked and Murderbot and Amena are kidnapped by a group of hostile and unknown aliens.  Dragged through a wormhole, Murderbot has no idea where they are, or why they were taken; it just knows that no one is messing with its humans!

As entertaining a read as this is, it is not a stand-alone novel.  Characters are reintroduced and earlier situations are brought into play here.  If you haven't read the earlier books in this series, you won't understand half of the action, so be sure to read those first.  One of my favorite series, and I know there are more to come!  Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment