Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

The Cradle of Ice

It struck me as I was reading the second novel in James Rollins' fantasy triology, The Cradle of Ice (#1,137) just what an old-fashioned book it is in many ways.  And I mean that in the best possible way!  Why did I read all the time when I was a child?  What kept me glued to the pages of the adventure stories and historical fiction I devoured?  It was mostly the way the author spun out his or her tale to keep me turning those pages breathlessly.  I was totally immersed in that world.  That's how I felt reading The Cradle of Ice.

The foundation had been laid in The Starless Crown, so the story just picked up and swept you along into even more new worlds with their own dangerous (and helpful!) creatures.  Magic and mishaps, not to mention downright skullduggery and betrayals, keep the disparate story lines moving along at a brisk pace.  Will our valiant crew of misfits be able to save their world from Moonfall?  They're making progress here, but with steep costs to them personally.  After finishing this meaty installment, there's still another volume to go!  Who will survive?  And will I survive the wait?

One of the things I really enjoyed about this book was Rollins' use of language.  Before each section, he has invented quotes from various ancient sources in his mythic realms, complete with archaic spelling, which lend an air of authenticity to the proceedings.  With the illustrations of his fantasy beasts scattered throughout, what's not to enjoy?  Savor this one when you have plenty of time to linger...

No comments:

Post a Comment