Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 29, 2023

How To Sell A Haunted House

I don't know how I got the mistaken notion that Grady Hendrix's novel How To Sell A Haunted House (#1, 142) was a light, cozy mystery.  Be warned, it's NOT!  It's a full-blown horror novel complete with creepy dolls, puppets and taxidermy.  I don't normally read horror, but I have to admit this one did hook me in.

When Louise and Mark's parents die suddenly in an accident, it means that Louise has to come home to Charleston to help settle their estate with her estranged brother.  Mark has his own ideas about the house, their childhood home, and the funeral itself.  Dividing an inheritance like this is a nightmare waiting to happen all by itself, but wait!  In this case, there's more - much, much more...

The book has a number of horrifying twists, but I have to admit, Grady Hendrix knows how to grab and hold your attention!  I couldn't stop reading to find out what was going to happen next.  I may never read another one of his books because of the intense creep factor, but if this is what floats your boat, add it to your "To Read" List!  You won't be disappointed.

One nit to pick, however: hated the cover art on this one.  Don't the people putting the covers together ever even skim the books they are supposedly illustrating?  The house that is central to this book is clearly described as a one-story brick ranch, so why is a two-story clapboard house on the cover?  Ugh!!  I suppose most people don't even notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment