Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

The Second Worst Restaurant in France

I saw that The Second Worst Restaurant in France (#1,121) was written by Alexander McCall Smith, so I thought I'd give it a read before we go.  It's a Paul Stuart novel, a character who writes about food.  I find I either tend to love or to hate his series.  This one I couldn't decide on, so I guess that's mostly a negative on this book. 

Paul Stuart has a contract to write a food book, but he isn't getting much done at the Edinburgh apartment he semi-shares with Gloria.  He doesn't consider that their relationship is strong enough for her to merit the term "girlfriend" although she is a friend with benefits.  The last straw comes when she moves in her two Siamese cats.  Paul cannot stand them.  He's driven to write in cafe where Gloria misinterprets something she sees.  Enter Cousin Chloe.  She whooshes into Paul's life and offers him the perfect out - an invitation to stay with her in a house she's rented in rural France.  He accepts, and off he goes to the village which boasts "the second worst restaurant in France".

I really wish there was more about the restaurant, and a whole lot less of Paul's philosophy in this book.  What could be entertaining and lighthearted is weighed down by Paul's ponderous angst.  Needless to say, this will not be a series I will follow.  But, as the French say, "chacun a son gout".

No comments:

Post a Comment