Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 19, 2021

The Chicken Sisters

 Several people whose opinion about books I respect told me that they loved KF Dell'Antonia's novel The Chicken Sisters (#988).  Heck, even Reese Witherspoon chose this book for her reading club!  Me, though - not a fan.

I don't watch reality TV, so I'm not a fan of the fictional Food Wars TV reality show driving the plot between estranged sisters in rural Kansas.  Mae has left it far behind in her escape to New York and her own struggling career as a social media influencer who comes back to help her mother's fried chicken restaurant, Mimi's, win the hundred thousand dollar prize.  Amanda, her younger sister, has remained in town, but she married into the rival restaurant Frannie's family.  Her mother barely speaks to her, and she is not allowed over the threshold of Mimi's.  Her heart is really with the chickens she draws, but refuses to eat.  Much fighting, angst and unpleasantness ensue.

Frankly, I did not like any of the characters, even though the author did try to focus a spotlight on mental health issues.  After reading this, I felt pretty much the way I would have after eating a meal at one of these restaurants: bloated and uncomfortable.  Not for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment