Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Project Hail Mary

 I just finished reading Andy Weir's latest sci-fi novel, Project Hail Mary (#986).  At almost 700 pages in the Large Print edition, I was still sorry to get to the last page, it was that good.

Ryland Grace didn't ask to be on a suicide mission to save planet Earth, but here he is deep in outer space with only a foggy memory at first of what he is supposed to do when he wakes from a coma.  The time perspective shifts back and forth between his present day dilemmas (and there are quite a few!) and the events which led this junior high school science teacher to be onboard a spacecraft.  It's thrilling, nail-biting and, told in Ryland's wry voice, funny.

The science is dumbed down enough so that the average non-scientific reader will be able to comprehend most of the finer plot points without insulting said reader's (me being one!) intelligence.  You can't help but root for Ryland even though you know he's doomed to die...  Or is he?

Without giving away too much of the plot, I'll just say that like his previous best-seller, The Martian  (See my post of 4/7/2014.), I think this would make a terrific movie.

Interesting cover art on the book, too.  It took me several days to notice the scientific notation in the title.  Clever!  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment