Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Anne of Green Gables

 How did I ever miss reading the children's classic book Anne of Green Gables (#963)?  Somehow I managed until a possible trip to the Canadian Maritimes in the fall (Covid permitting!) prompted me to read it, since visiting the farm which stood in for Green Gables in the book is on our itinerary.

I loved it just as much as an adult first time reader as I would have had I discovered it in my childhood days.  Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne Shirley is delightful, funny and touching.  She does manage to get herself into some scrapes!  But it's her sincere desire to be loved, and to please those she loves, that endear her to her readers.

I was impressed by the poetry of the Prince Edward Island descriptions as Anne revels in the beauty surrounding her.  It made me long to see it as well.  I was amazed that such a book with its lessons on living life well in fairly mature terms is relegated to a mere "children's classic".  Like all those other classic stories I devoured as a girl, I would surely (! - a little Anne humor) have re-read it often.  If you've never read it either, maybe now's the perfect time!

No comments:

Post a Comment