Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir

I just finished Jennifer Ryan's debut novel, The Chilbury Ladies' Choir (#707).  I had no idea I had such a gem waiting to be discovered on my book shelf.  I knew it was about women on the home front during World War II in Britain, and I supposed (wrongly!) it was going to be a fairly bland read.  Instead, I found myself thoroughly immersed in the doings of the small Kent town of Chilbury.  It's not quite the safe and cozy country village you might think.  It all began when the Vicar posted a notice that the choir would cease to exist after the first funeral for Chilbury's war casualty, since there are no longer any men to sing...


Through the epistolary device used to advance the story, we meet the women of Chilbury who decide to ignore the Vicar's notice and go ahead and form a ladies only choir of their own.  This small act of defiance sets this group of women, some good, some bad, on a course that will change all of their lives, mostly for the better.


There's scandal and skulduggery as well as quiet heroism and heartbreak in the face of adversity.  Loves lost and found, and real and present danger, even in this isolated spot.  I stayed up way past my bedtime to find out what happened next to each of the characters.  I was truly sorry to come to the end of this book.  For me, there is no greater compliment. It's put me in the mood to curl up with one of my favorite movies: Mrs. Miniver, where Greer Garson gamely keeps calm and carries on, much like the ladies here.

No comments:

Post a Comment