Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Hunger Games

A friend finally lent me her copy of The Hunger Games (#191) by Suzanne Collins.  My mistake was in not asking for all three volumes at once.  I'd heard from others that once they got started on these books they couldn't put them down.  Well, friends, the rumors are true.

I wasn't really expecting to like this book, but I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the writing in The Hunger Games.  Since it's billed as a Young Adult novel, I expected that the vocabulary might be dumbed down, but it wasn't.  The reader's involvement with the plot was immediate, and the pacing relentless. 

For the first time since I read Gone With The Wind a gazillion years ago, I found myself picturing the characters in this book as the actors who portrayed them in the recent movie, which I haven't even seen!  (Yet!)  I'll be pacing until Monday rolls around and I can get to the library to pick up the next two books. 

Should you read this book?  I'd say yes, if you want to know what all the buzz is about.  This isn't just some sparkly vampire/werewolf fantasy.  This is a book that puts some thought-provoking ideas out there, more in tune with Lord of the Flies.  It's bound to become a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment