Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton

I'll admit it.  I enjoy following the Royals.  I always have, and it runs in my family.  It may have something to do with my personal encounters with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles...  But I was one of those two billion people around the planet that got up early April 29th the watch the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.  I even baked scones for the occasion.  The English really do know how to do pomp and circumstance right.

So when I was relaxing at the library last week and LIFE's The Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton (#99) was displayed in my sight line, I just had to take it home to spend a little time reading the text, but mostly looking at the pictures.  The text itself veered between reverential and downright funny in some of its comments about the events, the ancestors, the guests (or NON guests!) and their attire.  But the point of the book is really the picture gallery.  I thought the pictures of the young William and Kate and their families were well done, but as for the wedding itself - I would have liked to have seen a lot more included in the book.  I thought since this was the commerative edition that it was kind of short of photos of the main event.  Maybe that's just me, but I'll bet it's not.  I was online looking at pictures of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden's 2010 wedding - this book compares her wedding to William and Kate's - but it failed to include a single one in the section on notable royal weddings. 

But that's a small quibble.  I saw on the news this week that Kate's dress is now on display in Buckingham Palace.  I saw Princess Di's wedding gown when it came to Fort Lauderdale.  I wish I could see this gorgeous dress in person, too, and not just in the photos. 

By all means, add this book to your collection if you're a royal watcher.  You might want to look around for something else that might be more comprehensive and include a larger photo album to complement it.  If you're not, you probably won't be reading this anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment