Total Pageviews

Friday, July 29, 2011

On Borrowed Time

David Rosenfelt had me at Dog Tags, the first novel of his that I read (See my post on this 3/11/11.).  I'm still catching up on his Andy Carpenter mysteries.  They're clever with just the right amount of sarcastic wit, and I sure don't see all the twists and turns coming in his legal procedurals.  I've now discovered a new reason to love his writing with On Borrowed Time (#100), a thriller I could not put down with double the number of plot turns. 

Richard Kilmer is a journalist who is living a normal life in New York City.  One day he meets Jen, someone who's smart and savvy on seemingly on his wavelength, who also fits in with his group of friends.  Richard invites Jen to move in with him and their relationship progresses.  He proposes to her at her parents' house in upstate New York over the Christmas holiday and she accepts.  Jen suggests a ride to Kendrick Falls, one of her childhood haunts, to celebrate the occasion.  Except that they are caught in a freak storm, and when Richard finally gets the car under control, Jen is missing.  She hasn't been thrown from the car and there is no trace of her.  After Richard is treated and released for a head injury, nothing is the same; no one remembers Jen - not her parents or her best friend.  When he returns to New York City his apartment has reverted to the way it was in his bachelor days.  None of his friends have ever met Jen.  Is Richard losing his mind, or is something else going on?  Since I don't want to spoil it for you, you'll just have to read On Borrowed Time to find out.

If you're a fan of psychological thrillers, this is the perfect book for summer reading.  I'm a happy camper because now I have more Rosenfelt thrillers to add to my reading list!

No comments:

Post a Comment