Total Pageviews

Monday, December 13, 2010

Undead And Unreturnable

Undead And Unreturnable (#22) is MaryJanice Davidson's Christmas offering in her Betsy Taylor Vampire Queen series set in Minneapolis.  This is not a new book, but one I found in my library's Christmas books display.  This book does plug in some gaps in the action of the series for me, but it really isn't a Christmas book in my opinion.  I have the feeling that since this is a popular series, MaryJanice Davidson had reached a point where her publishers told her they wanted a Christmas title for the mass market.  Add a few passing references to Christmas shopping to the story, a pink Christmas cover, and viola!, one Christmas book without the bother of having to add seasonal plot points or re-work her original premise.  Don't get me wrong.  These are very light and humorous books which I do find enjoyable, but this one is hardly worth the effort of labeling as a Christmas read.  You'd hardly notice the holiday.  If you're looking for something more suitable to the season, you'd be better off with Lauren Willig's Mischief of the Mistletoe, or any one of Debbie Macomber's Christmas titles.  (See Call Me Mrs. Miracle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment