Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop

Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop (#27) is a compilation of stories written by famous mystery writers for the owner of New York's The Mysterious Bookshop, a specialty mystery/crime/suspense bookstore located in Tribeca.  Otto Penzler, the editor, commissioned these stories which were originally published in pamphlet form as gifts for his customers beginning in 1993.  Some stories are murders, some simply mysteries, but they all have two elements in common: The Mysterious Bookshop itself, and the Christmas season. 

I thoroughly enjoyed these stories.  Otto Penzler himself appears as a character in many of the stories written by author friends ranging from Donald Westlake through Mary Higgins Clark with a wide variety of well-known names in between.  If you're a mystery fan, chances are this anthology will include some your favorites.  Both the former location of the bookstore on West 56th Street and its current Tribeca address on Warren Avenue are featured locales as many of the fictional events take place there.

Since I couldn't get my hands on this library book until after Christmas, I've made a New Year's resolution after reading it: the next time I'm in NYC, I'm going to make it my business to visit The Mysterious Bookshop in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment