Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 14, 2023

The Housekeepers

I thought Alex Hay's debut novel, The Housekeepers (#1,188) got off to a great start, but for me, it bogged down in the middle and never really regained its momentum.  The monstrous house on Park Lane in London is a major character in this novel, which no one but its builder seemed to love.  Many suffered within its walls, and for a number of the characters, that's enough motivation to strip it down to its bare bones.

How that plays out is the crux of this novel.  Did I admire or even sympathize very much with the wronged staff and family?  Not really.  I couldn't even quite grasp the motivations of some of them, so that precluded my emotional buy-in to the novel.

An interesting glimpse into a bygone time and lifestyle, but this book would never make my list of favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment