Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 4, 2023

Lessons In Chemistry

Lessons In Chemistry (#1,177), Bonnie Garmus' best-selling book turned out to be not at all what I expected.  I thought it would be a cutesy feel-good story that managed to stay perched on the top of the Best Sellers list despite the fact that it seemed to be aimed solely at female audience.  I am happy to say I was wrong.  Lessons In Chemistry is fierce and funny, touching, terrible and oh-so true.

Elizabeth Zott is a modern Everywoman.  She dares to think and act for herself even when others take credit for every good thing she does.  Her story sure sounded familiar to me!  She wasn't taken seriously as a chemist until, in desperation, she turns those skills into cuisine.  It's not the cooking that counts on Elizabeth's show however, it's the connections she makes with her audience by crediting them with equal intelligence.

Bonnie Garmus' characters are wonderfully drawn.  But I do have to admit to having a soft spot for Six-Thirty.  Thanks for giving him his own wonderful interior life!

This is often not an easy book to read, especially if you're female, and have ever had any similar experiences (and who among us hasn't!), but I did like the way the author left things at the end.  This is one of the most satisfying books I've read in a long, long time.  I'm sorry I won't get to see Brie Larson bring Elizabeth Zott to life on the screen.

One tiny nit at the end, though.   I know Bonnie Garmus loved the cover of this book, but I have to say I didn't.  I think it contributes to the image of this book being a piece of inconsequential fluff.  I wish the illustration had a bit more bite to it, like Elizabeth.  Just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment