Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Cartographers

I thoroughly enjoyed Peng Shepherd's novel The Cartographers (#1,103).  Apparently, I am the only one in my book club who did.  Most of them didn't even bother to finish the book, which I found surprising.  I think someone may have whispered "science fiction" in their ears, and that was enough to put them off what I found to be a highly imaginative work.  I wish I had had a map like Nell's!

Nell has always wanted to be a cartographer; her whole life has revolved around maps.  Her parents were both highly esteemed in their field.  Yet Nell's father drove her out of the New York Public Library's Map Division, and single-handedly trashed her professional career.  And what was the cause of this break-up?  A seemingly innocuous gas station map of New York State.  

Her father claimed it was worthless, yet when his body is discovered at his desk in the NYPL, Nell finds that same map in her father's treasured portfolio concealed in a hidden drawer.  Nothing else was taken,  Could that "worthless" map be what the intruder was searching for?  Nell suddenly finds herself a target.  Can she solve the riddle of the puzzle before it is disappeared forever?

You have to be willing to think outside the box to enjoy this book.  If you can, you'll be rewarded.


No comments:

Post a Comment