Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

One Italian Summer

Everyone else I know has been charmed by one of this summer's Best Sellers: One Italian Summer (#1,081) by Rebecca Serle.  If I had only read the final third of the book, I might have felt the same, but I had to read the beginning first.  Frankly, I was getting Norman Bates vibes from Katy's relationship with her mom, and vice versa.  So much so that I almost put the book down after about fifty pages.  I even told my husband how creepy I was finding it.

The only reason I kept reading was for the descriptions of Positano and the northern shore of Capri.  The endless steps in Positano were as I remembered them, but it wasn't my favorite place on the Amalfi coast by a long shot.  It did serve as a catalyst to get Katy's psyche going again after losing her mother to cancer by dropping her back in time to meet her mother as she spent her One Italian Summer there.

In the end, I have to say that I did not care much for the book or its rich, entitled, and ultimately shallow characters.  Luckily for Ms. Serle, most people don't seem to agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment