Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 16, 2022

When Women Ruled the World - Six Queens of Egypt

Kara Cooney profiles six queens of ancient Egypt in her new book When Women Ruled the World (#1,068) with a thoroughly modern sensibility.  Three of the queens I had heard of: Cleopatra, Nefertiti and Hatshepsut, but the other three I had not.  Just the merest clues exist in Egyptian carvings, statuary and buildings.  Her theory is that women came forward to rule when it was necessary to serve the good of the state, yet they could never claim power for themselves for their own sake.  Ms. Cooney compares that with today's politics, and I certainly believe she makes a valid point.

I had the pre-publication copy, so it lacked the illustrations laid out lavishly in the text.  They will certainly enhance the final publication.  It really did reawaken my desire to see Egypt for myself.  These days, who knows?  At least I know more about a place I've always dreamed of visiting.

If you have any interest in Ancient Egypt, add this book to your "To Read" pile!

No comments:

Post a Comment