Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 7, 2022

State of Terror

I was really enjoying Hilary Rodham Clinton and Louise Penny's political thriller State of Terror (#1,054) based on Ms. Clinton's time as Secretary of State.  That is until the plot arrived in Three Pines, Canada, home of Ms. Penny's iconic detective, Inspector Gamache.  It plonked the plot firmly back in the realm of fiction, and I didn't really buy anything else that happened in the book after that.  I know that's heresy to her legion of fans, but I'm not someone who lives for Ms. Penny's latest publication.

I did appreciate the many jabs taken at the chaos of the previous administration that could potentially have led to the circumstances of the plot.  But I also enjoyed several seasons of the TV drama Madame Secretary in the same way.  I suppose that's why I actually preferred Bill Clinton's thriller co-written with James Patterson, The President's Daughter.

I was disappointed the book fell so flat for me, but you'll need to judge for youself.

No comments:

Post a Comment