Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

The Library Book

Susan Orlean has written a book for everyone who has ever set foot in a library and gone back for more in The Library Book (#788).  Although the central focus here is on the catastrophic 1986 fire in Los Angeles' Central Library, Ms. Orlean does not take a direct path through her topic.  Rather, she meanders through all kinds of interesting subjects - history, fires, anecdotes, characters real and fictional and personal memories along the way.  It seemed to me the equivalent of strolling through a library's rooms and stacks, stopping to examine anything that caught her eye along the way.  It's somewhat disjointed, but absolutely fascinating, because so much of what she feels and experiences is relatable to any book lover.

I enjoyed this book so much I was sorry to come to the end of it, but determined that if I ever am in Los Angeles again, the Goodhue building of its Central Library is on my "Must See" list.  If you're reading this blog, I'm recommending The Library Book.  You'll come away with a wealth of new knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment