Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Dinner List

I was really looking forward to reading Rebecca Serle's novel The Dinner List (#780), so I packed it to read on a long plane flight.  It was my misfortune that the entertainment system on the plane never worked on our nine hour flight, because I found this book virtually unreadable.  I was only able to wade through about sixty pages before I gave up, and that was basically because I had no other alternative.

The plot is supposed to be about a fantasy dinner party where the hostess could invite any five people she wanted to join her.  She does ask Audrey Hepburn, but other than that, it's all about her relationships, which I did not find compelling to say the least.  I was expecting witty conversation from the likes of Shakespeare or Einstein or Leonardo da Vince, but instead got banal whining about why her life was so miserable.  No wonder Audrey Hepburn was bored!  So was I.  I wouldn't recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment