Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

The Trade of Queens

The Trade of Queens (#766) is the sixth and concluding volume of Charles Stross's sci-fi series The Merchant Princes.  Frankly, I thought the series ended with a whimper, not a bang, despite the proliferation of nuclear devices used.

Full of political maneuvering across several universes, and endless weapons specifications, I thought the story was remarkably free of action or resolutions.  Miriam Beckstein, the eponymous queen of the title, barely makes an appearance here.  The same is true of Brill and Olga, main characters in the previous stories.  I felt I had invested a considerable amount of time in following their previous adventures.  I would have liked having a few more of the various threads wrapped up in this last volume.

Disappointing, to say the least. Based on that, I can't recommend the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment