Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

"A" Is For Alibi

Just about anyone in America who reads even casually has heard of Sue Grafton and her Alphabet mystery series.  Hearing her obituary on the radio the other day came as sad news to her legion of fans, especially the fact that she will never write the final "Z" installment.  For others of us, it was the impetus we needed to finally pick up the first book in the series "A" Is For Alibi (#716) and start reading her books.  In fact, one of my book clubs made it our next month's pick.


Now I know why Ms. Grafton has so many fans of her quirky protagonist Kinsey Millhone.  She wasn't at all what I expected.  Maybe the most surprising thing to me was to learn that she had been married and divorced not once, but twice!  I can't imagine her sticking around long enough to make that kind of commitment; she does, indeed, seem to be married to her job.  And how that job has changed since the book was first published in 1982!  I guess you really can't appreciate that unless you're of a "certain age".  Newspaper morgues, pay phones, and index card filing system - things I remember, but I'm sure they are all mysteries to Ms. Grafton's younger readers.


One thing that hasn't changed with time, though, is the puzzle at the heart of this mystery, and how Kinsey methodically tracks down the true killer in this cold case.  It's just as enjoyable trying to figure things out before Kinsey gets there today as it was thirty five years ago.  I know I'll be working my way through the rest of this Alphabet!

No comments:

Post a Comment