Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Transformed Lives - Making Sense of Atonement Today

Transformed Lives - Making Sense of Atonement Today (#627) by Cynthia Crysdale was a required Interlude reading for my EfM program.  I understand that many readers found its message very profound.  Suffice it to say for me and my group that the kernels of wisdom were so thickly encased in layers of esoteric academic language that I found it nigh imporssible to decipher any wisdom or knowledge from it.  I was driven to create a glossary in the front of the book to keep track of the many theological terms which even after four years of study, I could not define in my own head.

To me, the most interesting thing about this book was the George Will column I came across published in my local paper on January 12th, describing a hoax which had been perpetrated on the academic community and finally revealed by its author.  His paper had been much admired and written about at the time.  Much of the language Mr Will (and that professor) used here was so reminiscent of Transformed Lives.  If you read that column, you'll understand what I mean.


No comments:

Post a Comment