Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2016

Hidden Figures: the American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race

My husband and I saw a teaser trailer at the movies for the film based on Margot Lee Shetterly's non-fiction work Hidden Figures: the American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race (#603) and I knew just from seeing that that I wanted to read the book as well as see the movie.


To say this book is the "Untold Story" is an understatement.  I had no idea any women were involved in the space race, much less played such key roles in putting a man on the moon.  Enough stumbling blocks were put in the way of women remaining in the work force after the vital positions they filled on the home front during World War II to make it almost impossible for qualified white women to stay on the job; imagine the difficulties multiplied exponentially if you were black and living in still segregated Virginia!


Suffice it to say that I learned a great deal from this book.  I've always been interested in our space program.  Now I know that there are even more people to admire for their contributions.  I expect after the release of the upcoming film Hidden Figures that the fans of these female mathematicians and space geeks will become deservedly legion.

No comments:

Post a Comment