Total Pageviews

Friday, April 29, 2016

The Light in the Ruins

It feels like it's been a long time since I've read such a string of totally absorbing books, and I'm adding Chris Bohjalian's The Light in the Ruins (#563) to that list.   I couldn't wait until I got back from my walk this morning so I could settle down and finally find out "whodunit".

The story shifts back and forth in time from 1955, when a serial murderer is on the lose in Florence, Italy, and the World War II experiences of the Rosati family whose modest Tuscan villa is occupied by the Germans during the war.  As the reader gradually learns, the two stories are interconnected in a way that draws you in deeper and deeper until the final reveal. 

The author uses red herrings quite effectively here I think.  I had my suspicions about the perpetrator, but in the end, I guessed wrong.  What a story teller Mr. Bohjalian is!  I've recommended this book strongly to my husband, and to you, as well.  Atmospheric and compelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment