Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Vienna Nocturne

I brought Vienna Nocturne (#530) by Vivien Shotwell with me to read since we would be visiting Vienna on our trip.  It came out in 2014, and involves an affair between Wolfgang Mozart and an English-born soprano, Anna Storace at the court of the Emperor Francis in Vienna.  It certainly isn't a weighty tome, but if you're a tourist in Austria, you cannot escape Mozart, so why not wallow a bit in some romantic fluff?

A friend of mine read this book when it first came out, and immediately proceeded to tell me every fact the author got wrong or changed in this story, but told me that I would like it anyway.  I wasn't sure whether or not to be insulted by that, but the book, is after all, fiction, so if it makes a stronger story, I say go for it.  If you want just the facts, ma'am, read non-fiction!

In the event, I was mostly annoyed by Anna Storace, who apparently threw away a promising career by lusting after the wrong guy until saintly Mozart appeared on the scene and showed Anna just what true love really was.  (Too late for it to do any good for anyone!)

A Mozart bon-bon of a book, so have some of those marzipan delights on hand when you settle down for a romantic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment