Total Pageviews

Friday, July 3, 2015

The Little Paris Bookshop

The Little Paris Bookshop (#505) by Nina George has been a best seller in Europe.  On one level, I can understand why, but on another I could only muster up a 3 star rating on GoodReads for this one.  I'm sure it will become a sensation here, too, regardless of my opinion.

I won't reveal much of the plot here; half the pleasure of reading this novel is the slow unfolding of Jean Perdu's character and his relationships with others.  He owns the bookshop of the title where he matches the perfect book to each client's needs.  His shop is located on a barge tied up in the Seine, named the Literary Apothecary by his admiring customers, but it doesn't stay in Paris for most of the book.  Jean is moved to journey in search of closure in both the physical and metaphysical sense throughout the book, so what else could the author name him but Perdu (Lost)?

Some parts of the book are lyrical in their descriptions, but much of it leaves me cold.  I could never trust a bookseller who would recommend The Elegance of the Hedgehog for any reason!  Let's just say that my philosophy of life is radically different from Jean's.  A resounding "Meh..." on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment