Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Between You & Me

Has a book on proper English usage ever been so entertaining?  I doubt it.   In Between You & Me (#501) Mary Norris has combined her years of experience as an editor at The New Yorker with chapters devoted to common errors and dilemmas she has come across during those years.  Some were problematic, and for those she provides a solution with often hilarious examples.  Some merely irritated the crap out of her.  (And she does admit to using that particular word at least once during her professional career.)  What she never, ever does is bore the reader.

Since I was constantly peppering my husband with "Did you know..?" comments, or interrupting his peace by chortling loudly, he finally gave in and asked me, "Where are coming up with all these factoids?  What on earth are you reading?"  I told him, and I promised to put him on my "Pass Along To" list for Between You & Me

After reading this book, I've resolved to do two things: first, to see if my sister-in-law can fill me on the background for the Southbury library incident, and second, to acquire some Blackwing pencils for my very own.  I'm not an editor, but I am an avid crossword puzzler, and I'm always on the lookout for the perfect pencil.  It seems Ms. Norris has pointed (ha!) me in a new and promising direction.  If you are at all curious about our complicated language, you couldn't do better than pick up a copy of Between You & Me for some entertaining guidance.  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment