Total Pageviews

Monday, April 6, 2015

All the Light We Cannot See

Usually, I find that the books that linger on the Best Sellers lists are not to my taste;  I read them and wonder what on earth all the fuss is about.  But every once in a while, the notable exception comes along, and for me it's Anthony Doerr's novel All the Light We Cannot See (#481).

If you read the blurbs on this book, they say it's about a blind French girl and a German boy who is fond of gadgets set before, during and after World War II.  So how does Mr. Doerr take something that sounds so inconsequential and weave the strands of these two characters' stories into such a profound and mesmerizing tale?  It's literary magic, these intersections of dark and light, nail-biting tension and sublime beauty.

None of my friends who have read it before me ever talked much about what happens in the book itself.   They related only the impact reading it had on them, and I think that's precisely how it should be.  It's best left to discover this remarkable book on your own terms.  Just don't make the mistake of missing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment