Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Rosie Effect

I so enjoyed reading The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (See my post of 9/29/14.) that I couldn't wait to get my hands on its sequel, The Rosie Effect (#473).  Oh, dear.  I really think The Rosie Project would have been better as a stand alone book. 

Don Tillman and his now-wife, Rosie are living in New York, settled into a visiting professorship at Columbia for him, and medical school for her when Rosie announces she is pregnant.  How does this pair handle impending parenthood?  Not well at all! 

Incidents that are meant to be comic come across as creepy in many instances, and I have to admit I wasn't very far into this book before I began to dislike both Don and Rosie.  Intensely.  Plus, in my opinion, it could have done with quite a bit of unsparing trimming.  I'm sure that with the success of the first book, the pressure on Mr. Simsion to produce another literary winner was unbearable.  It's hardly surprising that the result turned out to be so disappointing.  I'm not alone in thinking this way.  Read it if you must; just don't expect it to be anywhere near as good a read as the original.  Not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment