Total Pageviews

Friday, June 6, 2014

China Dolls

Lisa See continues to explore aspects of her Chinese heritage in her latest novel China Dolls (#396).  Ruby, Helen and Grace meet at an audition for San Francisco's newest nightclub, Forbidden City.  It's 1938 and all three women have secrets as they strive to become stars not only on the Oriental Chop Suey circuit, but in the Occidental world of entertainment as well.  Betrayal will tear them apart during the war years, but ultimately bind them together in the aftermath.

Ms. See alternates the point of view from chapter to chapter, focusing on how the events around them affect Grace, Helen and Ruby.  I thought this might be confusing, but it gives the author a chance to illuminate different aspects of the legal and cultural restrictions hemming in Chinese women and men in the period leading up to and surrounding World War II as well as fleshing out their personalities.  Each of these characters' reactions reflect her upbringing and beliefs.

Equally interesting is the exotic world of Chinese nightclubs popular during this period.   Ms. See brings this vividly to life in China Dolls.  It really wasn't until I read this book that I realized just how few Oriental faces there were in movies of that time, or actually until relatively recently.  To my knowledge, I've never seen a movie with Dorothy Toy, a celebrated dancer, and one of the few Asians to appear in a featured role in a Hollywood movie.  I will definitely have to keep my eye out for her on Turner Classic Movies (one of my favorite channels!).  Almost the only entertainer I did recognize from this book was Jackie Soo, who was featured in the TV sitcom Barney Miller.

On a more sober note, Ms. See cites Iris Chang's horrifying history, The Rape of Nanking, which one of the characters in her book experiences for herself in Hangchow.  If you're not familiar with this, check out my posting on The Rape of Nanking (9/8/2011) to learn more.

In any event, I doubt you'll leave China Dolls without being moved by Ruby, Grace and Helen's strength, ambition, endurance and determination to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment