Total Pageviews

Friday, August 23, 2013

The Heist

Janet Evanovich pairs up with former Monk script writer Lee Goldberg for The Heist (#323), an entertaining caper book.  It seems to be tailor-made for a future feature film.  Maybe that's because I kept channeling Sandra Bullock in The Heat playing the role of FBI agent Kate O'Hare.  Except Kate is also a former Navy Seal (and yes, the authors state right up front that they know there are no female Seals, just that maybe there ought to be...)  For the past five years, Kate has been in hot pursuit of Nick Fox, a clever con man who always manages to stay just a few steps ahead of her. 

When Kate finally does catch up with Nick, things don't go the way she planned; instead of Nick spending some quality time in prison, her bosses want her to pair up with her former nemesis to catch an even bigger fish (think Bernie Madoff in terms of financial damage.)  Nick doesn't mind.  It sure beats jail, plus he's always been attracted to feisty Kate.  What more could you ask of a five year plan with unrestricted government funds?

The action and the humor kept me turning the pages to see what would happen next.  I enjoyed it so much I passed it along to my husband to read.  What can I say?  We both like King and Maxwell, too.  It's just that kind of fun ride.  I sure hope Evanovich and Goldberg are planning more cases for Fox and O'Hare.  In the meantime, I'll just have to think about who I would cast as Nick Fox...

No comments:

Post a Comment