Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Bossypants

I'm probably the last person in America to read Tina Fey's autobiography Bossypants (#301), so right off the bat you can tell I'm neither young nor hip.  I'm not really a Tina Fey fan, either, except that I did love her as Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live (only the skits on YouTube; who can stay up that late to watch SNL live?!), and I've liked a couple of her movies.  My friend had told me a couple of years ago when she read it that she thought it was pretty good, so what the heck?

I did read Bossypants all the way through to the end, and there were some funny sections, but on the whole I was rather surprised.  Maybe the limited roles I have seen Tina Fey play led me to expect a more ladylike tone.  I was taken aback by how crude much of the humor was in this book.  She certainly can take her place with the boys in show biz in that department!  I know that's why I'm not a fan of comedy clubs and stand up comedians in general; I don't find the vulgarity that passes as humor funny.  Maybe that's what raised the bar in my expectations of Ms. Fey's book; I expected something better from her.

A thoroughly disappointing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment