Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Mission To Paris

Alan Furst's latest World War II spy novel Mission To Paris (#233) has been extremely popular at my local library and justly so.  As I read it, I could practically see the black and white movie version of this book unreeling before my eyes.

Viennese born Frederic Stahl has been successful in Hollywood for the past eight years, and packs star power.  Jack Warner decides to trade Frederic's services to Paramount Pictures in Paris for movie rights to a film starring Gary Cooper.  Frederic loves Paris, having lived there for several years after World War I.  But the Paris of 1938 is a far cry from what he was expecting, as he's approached by Germans working for Hitler to lend his star power to their cause.  After Le Matin, controlled by German influence, manipulates a publicity interview he's given to make it appear that he supports Germany's position, he finds that he may be in way over his head.

But Paris is still Paris, and Frederic is determined to fight back in his own way.  He will finish the movie he's starring in and enjoy as much of the city as he can while it's still possible.  Mixing in society and sampling the restaurants and cafes may provide him the perfect means...

I've never read any of Alan Furst's books before, but I know this won't be the last.  I liked this book for the same reasons I'm addicted to Turner Classic Movies; it was a smooth and exciting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment