Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Catching Fire

Now I understand why friends got very cranky if interrupted while reading any of the books in Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy.  I just finished reading the second book, Catching Fire (#228), and I'm very grateful that my friends lent me the third book at the same time. 

The books are so well written, and in Catching Fire, the tension is ratcheted up even further.  Katniss Everdeen and her partner from District  12, Peeta Mellark have survived the Hunger Games by acting as a couple in love.  President Snow is forced to declare them both victors when they threaten suicide if both are not allowed to live.  Life should be good for them and their families now, but President Snow hasn't forgotten Katniss' public defiance, or the fact that rebellions are beginning to break out in the other Districts.  Katniss and Peeta see evidence of this themselves as they make the Victor's Tour through all the provinces. 

Their tour ends at the Capitol, where for the seventy fifth anniversary of the Dark Days, President Snow declares that the Quarter Quell, celebrated every twenty five years since, will be special this year: the participants will be reaped from the surviving victors of all the Districts.   To add to the horror in this round, not only had the victors  thought themselves safe, but they will be forced to fight against their friends.  Alliances will be formed, but who can be trusted now?  And what role does the mockingjay play?

I won't tell you, you'll  have to read for yourself to find out, but will reveal that I picked up Mockingjay just as soon as I put down Catching Fire.  Now don't bother me until I finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment