Total Pageviews

Monday, February 13, 2012

Lost on Planet China

Although I found Lost on Planet China (#153) by J. Maarten Troost vastly entertaining, I'm not sure I'm glad I read it on the threshold of my own trip to China.  Mr. Troost is hardly your average traveler and in his wanderings around China over a period of several months, he includes all kinds of interesting facts, statistics and anecdotes that at the same time manage to be more than slightly alarming for anyone else contemplating a trip there. 

I have already concluded based on reading this book that I will never, ever wear open-toed shoes in China.  Granted, I'll be going there when the average daily high temperature will only be in the 50s, but still, I have no desire to be constantly watching for the puddles of phlegm and mucus expectorated by the adults, nor the rivers of pee and poop that apparently abound everywhere from hordes of uncurbed toddlers.  And I will definitely be packing my surgical masks to filter out at least some of the pollution.  I will also bear in mind what one of Mr. Troost's Chinese contacts told him when they went out to dine one evening:  that the Chinese eat anything with four legs except a table, and anything with two legs except a person.  Words to live by, indeed!  This is the kind of information that you just can't get from an ordinary travel guide with its sterile descriptions of climate and points of interest.

Every page of this book is a reminder that China is changing every day.  What was true four years ago may no longer be true today.  The one constant is that China is growing and so is her influence.  When was the last time you heard a newscast when China was not mentioned?  You may be fortunate enough to have the chance to see what is going on there yourself.  If not, this book is an excellent way to be a vicarious observer without the anxiety of just what that food might be on your plate!  If you're interested like me, Mr. Troost also includes a short list of books about modern China for further reading.  Kudos to him for making this armchair adventure possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment