Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

High Flavor, Low Labor

When I was in Connecticut recently, my sister-in-law introduced me to one of her favorite local NPR shows - Food Schmooze.  On our way back to the airport my husband and I happened to catch another episode of this show.  The host was raving about a new cookbook called High Flavor, Low Labor - Reinventing Weekend Cooking (#85) by J.M. Hirsch, Food Editor for AP.  She was thrilled that she had Mr. Hirsch as a guest for the entire hour and they proceeded to discuss his food philosophy: it should be easy enough to prepare while drinking wine and chatting with friends and family, it should be real and good going into the pot (think organic), and it should not take long to prepare.  All this keeping in mind that both he and his wife work, and that he has to make sure that his cooking appeals to and involves their young son as well.  Then they started talking about the recipes in this book!  We were drooling.  After we returned home, I reserved a copy of High Flavor, Low Labor at our library to check it out and see if it really was as good as it sounded on the radio. 

Once I had the cookbook at home, I did something I don't ever remember doing before.  I sat down and read the book cover-to-cover.  I was hooked.  Hirsch is amusing in his anecdotes and I enjoyed reading the introductions to each section of his book.  Skimming through the recipes, I was already making a mental list of which ones I would try first.  Although he manages to include several things I absolutely loathe in his high flavor category - thyme, blue cheese/gorgonzola and lamb (not too crazy about goat cheese, either!) - I found myself busy thinking about what I could substitute for those ingredients to make the dish something I would love (although in many cases, he made the suggestions himself, or noted how you could cut calories - all helpful).  His style is that easy that you know you can experiment with the recipes yourself and feel creative while enjoying the results.

I left the cookbook out for husband to take a look at, and while I was in my office ordering High Flavor, Low Labor online, he was in the other room saying "We've got to try this recipe.  Boy, does this sound good!" on every other recipe.  I've never known him to do more than leaf through a cookbook or cooking magazine before, other than when in search of a particular recipe, so it was a first for him, too!  Needless to say, High Flavor, Low Labor  is due to arrive on our doorstep in a few days.  I'm expecting a lot, but I'm sure this cookbook will deliver.   Can't wait to try one of these recipes; the only problem will be trying to decide which one!

No comments:

Post a Comment